TheProject Forums
July 29, 2017, 06:35:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: There's a new security check for registering, but do help us out if any spambots get through by using the report this user button. Thanks!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mages: Image of God  (Read 4519 times)
xandinavian

on: March 17, 2008, 09:29:31 PM

Hi, this is a response to  Secret Agent 7's question on the tagboard about whether it is appropriate to create something in the image of God.

It's funny that anyone actually brings this up, because that's actually not God at all! It will be very clear later that that's a story teller, who's able to conjure up real good visuals to help his listener understand what's going on. That is not the Creator-King in the process of making the Earth.

This will become a lot clearer pretty soon, but I must say I'm kind of mildly amused.

Sorry for the confusion, and I hope no one had big problems with it - now, your turn, guys: was this confusing?
mav
TheProject Staff

Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 07:22:19 PM

Heh, I was leaning towards the storyteller bit and believe the subsequent pages will make things clearer. Give it some time and keep on reading. We appreciate the enthusiasm. XD 

The plan is to fail so hard we win.
ChristianKitsune
Resident

TheProject's Offcial Fox Lover >^._.^<

Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 12:31:04 PM

haha! how funny!
Sorry it was confusing for some people.. ^^;

I was like "If that's God.. wow." XD

I wasn't sure though...but yeah glad this was cleared up.

But I am interested in the topic at hand...

Drawing God...gaah I dunno... I really don't! >_<

Especially the stereotypical Jesus things... it kinda throws me off.. I mean wasn't this really created during the Rennaissance, and that's why he looks European and has blue eyes and stuff?

No one has ever seen God...not even a glimpse.. (the Book of John says this.) so...yeah.. how can we even begin to capture his amazingness?

I think the most we could ever do is guess...

Is it wrong to draw God? >_< I dunnooo...is there scripture that would back this up?

would I ever draw him as a human? >_< I don't think so... I think the most I'd do is imagery like a Lamb or a Lion..(Lion of Judah) but yeesh... Humanoid? I don't think I could capture his awesomeness....nope.

Thats my take... sorry for startint the conversation if it wasn't meant to be started...>_>
xandinavian

Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 09:03:59 PM

Yeah, I was thinking that too! I thought it was funny, because the story teller is wearing a uniform and has a typical manga fringe and a goatee. That's just simply funny, because he's a character that you'll see later in the series.

As for drawing God - what would people make of the Sistene chapel, then? I ask this because I'm thinking about the pieces of art that people have created, like stained glass, and things like that that are meant to glorify God.

I ask this because later on I borrow the Sistene chapel as a backdrop to the story of the Fall - so actually, I'm really glad that you guys brought up this issue about the image of God.

What do you guys think? I'm really new to this whole Christian manga game, and I would sincerely like to get people's opinions before I put these things out and possibly offend someone. 

As for the pictures of Jesus... I don't see it as a problem, if you're trying to show the Passion of Christ or convey the message of the Gospel through film or trying to teach Sunday school. What I do find a problem is the fact that, like the devil with a pitchfork and horns, the "European" looking Jesus... it's quite possibly a misrepresentation of Christ - and if people imagine that's what Jesus is when they think of Him, it could be problematic, simply because it's misleading.

The only description we get of Jesus is Isaiah, where it says that He was made not to be "desirable" in looks, then it goes directly into how terribly disfigured He was after all the torture they put Him through.
ChristianKitsune
Resident

TheProject's Offcial Fox Lover >^._.^<

Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 09:39:29 PM

Yeah, I was thinking that too! I thought it was funny, because the story teller is wearing a uniform and has a typical manga fringe and a goatee. That's just simply funny, because he's a character that you'll see later in the series.

As for drawing God - what would people make of the Sistene chapel, then? I ask this because I'm thinking about the pieces of art that people have created, like stained glass, and things like that that are meant to glorify God.

I ask this because later on I borrow the Sistene chapel as a backdrop to the story of the Fall - so actually, I'm really glad that you guys brought up this issue about the image of God.

What do you guys think? I'm really new to this whole Christian manga game, and I would sincerely like to get people's opinions before I put these things out and possibly offend someone. 

As for the pictures of Jesus... I don't see it as a problem, if you're trying to show the Passion of Christ or convey the message of the Gospel through film or trying to teach Sunday school. What I do find a problem is the fact that, like the devil with a pitchfork and horns, the "European" looking Jesus... it's quite possibly a misrepresentation of Christ - and if people imagine that's what Jesus is when they think of Him, it could be problematic, simply because it's misleading.

The only description we get of Jesus is Isaiah, where it says that He was made not to be "desirable" in looks, then it goes directly into how terribly disfigured He was after all the torture they put Him through.

^^; my response was purely my own tastes in what I do in my own work.

If the Sistine Chapel was done to Honor God, GREAT! 8D that's awesome...

I was just saying I wasn't brave enough to try to draw God XD the last time I did I kinda got someone upset with me because I drew Jesus the way I had seen him in Sunday School growing up. >_>

Its an interesting question...and I kinda go back to "Whats in your heart when you are drawing it." If you are trying to bring God down to your level...then I don't think it's okay.

But if you are honestly trying to give glory to God...then.. I don't know... Gahh I wish there was a definative answer here! XD

(by the way, the "you" I stated. was just a general "you" not Zhen or anything ^^; )
Psycho Ann
TheProject Staff

Drew her own hair flipped the wrong way.

Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 01:21:27 PM

There's actually a similar discussion going on at the CC.net forums, some of you might find it interesting: http://www.christiancomics.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2182#15849

Groaner of the Moment: What do you call a man standing on a doorstep?          Matt.
BoranJarami

Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 12:47:30 PM

Personally, it depends on the situation.  My problem with drawing God is that it can give the idea of God being a physical being and almost conjures up the idea of some guy sitting up in the clouds itching to smite someone.  However, if it is made known that it is a manifestation of God then I have no problem with it (kind of how C.S. Lewis describes Jesus taking on different forms in the different worlds in the Chronicles of Narnia).

As an aside, mosaics from early Greek churches show Jesus as being clean shaven and with short hair.

I  could very well be wrong.
Leviathan

Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 05:53:58 PM

I personally don't have a problem with depictions of God as long as they are reverant. This is my philosphy:

Every talent we have been given is to display gods glory. So by saying that you cannot draw or depict God in art is basically saying that artists are useless people, and to even imply that any of God's creations are useless is in itself blasphemy. So as long as we worship him and not some image of him I think it is ok to draw God. Images are powerful, God knows  this, so of course he has ordained people to use them to spread his word. Also words sometimes are not enough, we all know that sometimes we can't understand something unless we see it to get an idea.

Let the world know you're HAPPY! Smile!
SusanTheCat

Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 01:39:38 PM

I like the portrayal of Jesus in http://rabbiencounters.smackjeeves.com

I agree with Leviathan: We worship God -- not the image of God.

I found a great explanation: http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/command.htm#_Toc513258224

...Orthodox Christians do not perceive icons as deities, but rather as reminders of spiritual truths - of God as He has appeared to Prophets, of the Incarnate Savior, of angels and miraculous biblical events...

Susan

http://tandt.comicgenesis.com <-- WARNING! Christian Content
Leviathan

Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 06:31:44 PM

I think that was a very good article, it really explains things very well. I have to agree with that article.

Let the world know you're HAPPY! Smile!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme by m3talc0re. Powered by SMF 1.1.18 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS