TheProject Forums
September 26, 2017, 12:42:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: There's a new security check for registering, but do help us out if any spambots get through by using the report this user button. Thanks!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nail Marks on the Palm  (Read 11087 times)
Psycho Ann
TheProject Staff

Drew her own hair flipped the wrong way.

on: May 09, 2007, 01:54:01 AM

Okay, finally got the pages up somewhat. Wow! That took forever! In the sense it's been sitting around for who knows how long. Do let me know what you think!

Nail Marks on the Palm (completed): read online // download // buy

Overall, it's not my best attempt but I'm just glad I got it done. Interesting bit that I didn't talk about in the notes:

I had did some experimenting on whether or not you can puncture your palm with your own fist as you see in all those manga (I always wondered). After purposely growing my nails to a scary length, I still failed to make anything other than crescent marks despite even using my other hand to help. I even asked UC to try--didn't work for him too. I wonder if it's a lack of muscle or strength or something... This sorta bothers me, but eh, if other artists else can show it...

Also, I had more trouble than I imagined during the pencilling, due to to fact I keep drawing the panels in the wrong order. ^^;; I actually had to re-panel a whole page because I started going right-left instead of left-right. Then while re-reading a finished penciled page, I freaked out for a few seconds thinking the panels were in the wrong order before realizing it was supposed to go left-right (Western).  Man... I need to read some regular western comics....

Bonus (read chapter first!)

- Cheer Up
- Insurance
- Ouch
- That Other Team
- Eye Care

- Unused: Page 2
- Deleted: Page 9
Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 10:31:43 AM by Psycho Ann Logged

Groaner of the Moment: What do you call a man standing on a doorstep?          Matt.
xandinavian
Resident

Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 11:41:08 AM

I'm so happy that I finally get to see Paladin art. ^________^ seriously, as long as  I've been hovering around theproject, I've been looking for ways and means to get acces to Paladin! (The best I could do was the tutorial page with the feature artwork of the pretty girl.) Mave knows; every time I see her I peg her with "when will Paladin be released?"

I love everything about Paladin, the tone, the art, the character voices, the character design. Your details are amazing. I really like the  verisimilitude that's consistent in every aspect; it is a fantasy, it is a manga, and yet it is /real./

Thank you for Paladin. <3 <3 <3 <3
Psycho Ann
TheProject Staff

Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 01:33:23 AM

And thank you for the very kind comments! I can only say I'll hope to meet up with your expectations in the actual storyline. Mave and UC knows the great amount of planning, preparation and researching I've been doing for this series, and I hope that it'll all show.

Please keep reading! XD

Groaner of the Moment: What do you call a man standing on a doorstep?          Matt.
xandinavian
Resident

Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 12:22:46 PM

Will definetely keep reading!

I'm looking forward to seeing how the entire fruit of your labour is unveiled. There's a lot to be said about all the planning that you do, which I'm beginning to take a lot more seriously. My usual process is to just draw- panel and write at the same time with a very vague idea of what happens next. But from what Mave has been telling me, do you have the entire story planned and scripted already? I'm thinking of getting all that out of the way first, and then starting on my art much, much later. Which means I only get to join you guys in a few summers' time. Sad

Love your bonus stuff. PWNED. Is there any way I can get access to the old stuff or any other Paladin related material? :)
Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 12:29:34 PM by xandinavian Logged
Psycho Ann
TheProject Staff

Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 12:12:36 AM

Planning is good all around, but vital for longer series if one wants to avoid the dreaded plot hole with all it's contradictions and inconsistencies. XD I think some mangaka do manage to draw their series with less planning than expected, but hey, when they're that good, they can afford to! XD

As for Paladin, I got the whole story roughly planned, thoroughly planned in certain arcs including the end, but only the first chapter is scripted (halfway). The universe is already laid out in a way that's way too detailed than I can ever play around in on my own (yay for guest writers/artists!), but it really helps figuring out what goes and what doesn't.

And glad you like the bonus stuff! I like making them. XD And old stuff will be posted when the actual first chapter starts. ^^ Hopefully before the end of this year, if the completion of the important bits of my reference document is anything to go by...

xandinavian
Resident

Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 03:56:11 AM

"I think some mangaka do manage to draw their series with less planning than expected, but hey, when they're that good, they can afford to! XD"

I have a feeling that you could be talking about Bleach. It's so funny. Every time someone loses his powers or something like that he just pulls out a new way for that person to be energized, bigger, badder and stronger than ever- until he comes across some new bad guy, that is.

I'm trying to strike a balance between making myself happy and producing comic for other people, or what I feel God's calling me to do, cos I like to draw and write - seperately, and in different phases. This is so a drawing mode and not a planning/writing mode, and I seirously find it hard to mix the two, even though comics /are/ just all about a little marraige between drawing and writing, aren't they? Sigh.

Oh, how long have you been working on Paladin? What's the little history/time line of this webmanga? :)
uncreative pseudonym
TheProject Staff

Ellipsis

Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 09:27:35 AM

I'm all for planning (actually, I'm the type that can't help but do it). The more I have written the more I feel a planned series has a much more cohesive feel. Most of the higher literary elements (foreshadowing, motifs, themes, etc) are difficult to do if you're just making up the story as you go. Alternatively, you could rewrite throughout the process, but that isn't possible with something like a weekly manga.

Curiously, I'd say Bleach is one of the best mainstream manga series as far as planning goes (though the fact that it's obvious everyone is going to get their powers back is another matter altogether). I'm pretty sure the central plot line was in mind from nearly the beginning and it is obvious Kubo Tite was including important elements all throughout (Vaizard on the opening chapter page, Ichigo's continued Hollow-ization, Isshin-foreshadowing, etc). There are certainly some plot holes that I'd say indicate not everything was planned, but at least I don't feel like the author is making up arcs as he goes - coughnarutocough.

In terms of balancing writing and art, is there a way you can do enough when you feel like planning to sustain you through the art phase? You don't necessarily have to do both at once, especially not if that feels unnatural for you.

Therefore I despise myself, and repent in dust and ashes.
Job 42:6
Psycho Ann
TheProject Staff

Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 12:40:06 AM

UC said it in his first paragraph better than I had. Aiming for the higher literary elements (which I'm trying to do with a series as long as Paladin) is a pain if you go at it freely. I've "started" Paladin back in 2003 (the first pilot chapter was actually done for Tokyopop's Rising Star competition) before sitting on it and re-working it until now. That's around 3-4 years of letting the idea cook and develop. I think ideas get better the longer you work on it (being sure to leave it for a couple of months and coming back), and at the very least mature. Probably since one also matures as a writer/artist/person (hopefully) it's natural the story does too.

But, as Mave has recently told me, I need to stop or I'll never get started!! XD

Yeah, Bleach is one I can admire for the foreshadowing done, although the lost-return of powers is too predictable and common, I agree.

I believe Kishimoto said that he had major events in mind, but that's about it, in an interview somewhere. Probably that's why Naruto is a bit weak in certain arcs and between. (Water Country arc is still the best in my mind, as is the Chuunin Exam.) I actually feel that Kishimoto is rushing through the arcs now, he doesn't quite have the pacing of the early chapters, which I feel is much better in terms of story-telling and character growth. And curse those ellipses... I notice them every. Single. Time.

xandinavian
Resident

Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 08:15:08 AM

Thanks guys! :) Since the last post from you, I've been working on finetuning my story, which involved a complete overhaul of the introduction. I'm working on the first page as we speak. Trying to get 20 pages up before I go overseas to study- so I hope to join you guys soon and have enough pages to use as a buffer while I'm getting used to uni life.

How did you guys create your stories around such schedules? I've been going through the Tic Tae Joe page and I've realized that there are pages that haven't been uploaded but have been drawn already from the profile pages. Why the lag in uploading? Do you have basic guides to follow like you keep a few pages in reserve so not everything goes up at a shot?
uncreative pseudonym
TheProject Staff

Ellipsis

Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 02:56:48 PM

To answer at least one of the questions, T3J is pretty much going up as it is drawn, unless Ann is hiding the pages from me. I think it is good to keep a reserve for any sort of regularly updating comic (which is why we're waiting longer before Silva Mundus returns) but most of our comics here have no real schedule and that isn't always possible.

Quote from: xandinavian
I've realized that there are pages that haven't been uploaded but have been drawn already from the profile pages.
Heh. I would not be so quick to make that assumption.

Psycho Ann
TheProject Staff

Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 04:01:28 AM

I'm not as ordered as Mave who manages a few half-hours in the week to finish her pages, as I'm a binge artist. What that means is that I finish a bulk of stuff within a short break in my schedule before the adrenaline runs out. (Not a good way to work!!)

As for the T3J profile pages... I repeat UC's words. XD XD

mav
TheProject Staff

Reply #11 on: August 12, 2007, 02:18:13 AM

I'm not as ordered as Mave who manages a few half-hours in the week to finish her pages, as I'm a binge artist. What that means is that I finish a bulk of stuff within a short break in my schedule before the adrenaline runs out. (Not a good way to work!!)

As for the T3J profile pages... I repeat UC's words. XD XD

Different processes but same results. I've always been fine with that. XD

In all fairness, we also should consider the additional projects that we are working on behind the stage and have neglected to mention anywhere to the public.

The plan is to fail so hard we win.
Crimson RP

Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 08:08:42 PM

Great to finally see paladin again. I really like it. The fighting scenes were great too. Right now I'm studying action scenes for use in my manga project. Anything I can get my hands on. In time i hope to get better at it (practice, practice, practice.........practice some more.....................and maybe some more practice). Bottomline, I love coming here. The project rocks, keep up the good great work! ;D
Psycho Ann
TheProject Staff

Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 07:06:17 AM

Thanks! It's people like you that give us that extra spring to our steps. laugh And yes, I also must practice practice practice! I try to study action scenes that I like and pick out just what makes it work. Gwaaaaaa, still a long journey, but loving every step. XD

xandinavian
Resident

Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 10:27:50 PM

Hello!! I'm finally in my dorm in my new uni. I've gotten most of my stationary needs and I'm just waiting to see what my schedule is like so I can start drawing with you guys!!! Oh and I need to find a scanner. Desperately. I'm about 10 pages into it.

Mave, did you get my email? :)
Crimson RP

Reply #15 on: September 08, 2007, 12:11:01 AM

Scanners, arrrrgh! I need to get one!
Dyreck

Image From Glyphx games www.glyphx.com

Reply #16 on: September 12, 2007, 09:54:32 PM

It's late so I'll keep it brief......YEAH, Woo Hoo!  Awesome opening chapter with "Nail Marks".  Very much worth the wait.  Ya know, I still remember the first Paladin comic with the original Psychoteers kicking demon but.  Do you think there will be a cameo appearance?   Side note, I was listening to BarlowGirl - Sunshine on the music player when I read it.  Great combination, I recommend it to anyone to reread it while it's playing.  Will post more later.
mav
TheProject Staff

Reply #17 on: September 16, 2007, 08:40:24 AM

Xandinavian: Yes, I did get your email but I also did take a while to respond to it. Sorry - pls see email for lame excuse. As for not having a scanner, ARGH. I also share the same ARGH with Crimson. How do you guys survive without one?

....come to think of it, Kei-chan doesn't have a scanner too. Erm, maybe one day, you'll get to know another one of our fellow creative team member.

Dyreck: All I will say about this is that we're very much open to and get excited about cameos. You'll never know where they'll pop up so keep your eyes peeled in any of the comics on our website. 
Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 08:56:03 AM by Mave Logged

The plan is to fail so hard we win.
uncreative pseudonym
TheProject Staff

Ellipsis

Reply #18 on: September 16, 2007, 09:12:09 AM

Dyreck - Ann is having computer troubles, but I think I can answer this question. NMotP is actually a side story, explaining the background of a character in Paladin. When the real opening chapter occurs the alternate Psychoteers will again be the main characters.

wRatte
Reply #19 on: March 24, 2008, 07:46:51 AM

wow.
hehe, i don't think i need to say more :)

however this left me confused as to what the actual story was about - then i read the explanations that paladin is actually a psychoteers spin off (i thought maybe the psychoteers one was the side story)
also the bonus pics caused a good laugh or 2, thanks for that :)

i realise this looks like a dead topic revival, but this is the first time i read it, so bleh  Tongue  8)
Psycho Ann
TheProject Staff

Reply #20 on: March 26, 2008, 09:47:27 PM

We haven't got a lot of threads yet, so grave-dig all you want! XD

And yes, it's very confusing in that NMotP is a short right in middle of a universe with little explanation. My fault, as I had planned for the main Paladin story to have started by the time NMotP came out.

I think I should stop planning. And, you know, actually start doing. asdjksfdjskjf.

Joe K

HeHa

Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 12:29:40 AM

DUDE PALADIN IS SO SICK I WANT MORE!  XD

>Joe.K< O.o
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme by m3talc0re. Powered by SMF 1.1.18 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS