Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home1/project/public_html/forum/Sources/Load.php(226) : runtime-created function on line 3
Eek!Help! Police! Gimp!
TheProject Forums
November 18, 2017, 10:42:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the forums. We're so active that you can't even see us post.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eek!Help! Police! Gimp!  (Read 3236 times)
Phyllis J Wolfe

The mouth of the wolf is not the end of the world!

on: December 03, 2012, 05:25:39 PM

So I drew a bunch of chibi elves to use on Christmas cards this year. Only problem is that I have a new laptop, and therefore no longer have the image editing programs I am used to using. My parents have done web design in the past, so I have been fairly well spoiled with gems such as Paint Shop Pro 7 and Macromedia Fireworks. We no longer have the install disks for either and I. WILL. NOT. USE. PAINT! I did a long time ago. The quality was sad.  Undecided Never again...

~ahem~ Anywho, a coworker suggested I try Gimp. That's all well and good but, after downloading I discovered I honestly have no idea what I'm doing. It's like trying to cook in someone else's kitchen! I can't find the right utensils, and the stove seems to be labeled in Celsius and I HAVE NO CONVERTER!

~sigh~ Anyway, the point is, I need help, some serious help. I don't know if anyone can answer before it's too late to send, but I had to try so, if you have any suggestions, tips and tricks, etc. I would love to hear!

Thanks,

Phyllis

I'm that really weird girl. The loud one who reads large novels, plays obscure instruments, eats whole baked tilapia in the middle of campus, and then pulls up a Christian manga on her laptop. Which of these get's me funny stares? That's right... the Christian manga ^_^
BoranJarami

Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 09:21:40 AM

I use gimp, but I have never used Paint Shop, so I'm not sure how much I can help you to convert from one to the other.  There are some great places on the web that have gimp tutorials though.  the gimp website comes to mind as well as gimp-tutorials.net.

I  could very well be wrong.
Phyllis J Wolfe

The mouth of the wolf is not the end of the world!

Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 11:47:29 AM

Oy! Tutorials give me a headache. lol. I may end up looking at some anyway though. I went ahead and played with an old inked, but uncolored sphynx I'd drawn (No, not the hairless cat breed, and yes it's misspelled on purpose) and I've figured out a few things that way. It's been so long since I've had to adjust to a new program. (Unless you count Open Office which isn't nearly as different from Microsoft.)

How does Gimp work for you? Come to think of it, I haven't seen any of your work. I saw a thread where you mentioned an idea you had (which sounds pretty darned cool btw. ^_^) but I haven't seen any of your artwork. Got any links?

I'm that really weird girl. The loud one who reads large novels, plays obscure instruments, eats whole baked tilapia in the middle of campus, and then pulls up a Christian manga on her laptop. Which of these get's me funny stares? That's right... the Christian manga ^_^
BoranJarami

Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 06:12:11 PM

I'm afraid I am not an artist.  Other then for playing around, I usually use gimp for making fliers and such for church. For that it works fine.  Line art isn't very hard in gimp, but then I gave nothing to compare it to.  I've never tried to do any serious coloring.  The only thing I've done in gimp that is on the web (that i know of) is my avitar.  As for that idea, I'm still trying to work the bugs out.  I wish I could be of more help.  Maybe you'll just have to take some asprin Wink.

I  could very well be wrong.
xandinavian
Resident

Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 10:33:32 AM

I found GIMP really hard to use as well, so I quit after a while. If you have some money, I'd advise you to get Adobe Elements - any version is fine as long as it suits your budget and you can run it on your computer. You will really have enough to work with. I used that for The Mages and as you can see, I have everything from lettering, clean up, screentones... etc.

You can also try Open Canvas? You can use it free for 30 days then decide whether to buy. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme by m3talc0re. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS